Nitrogen is a background browser and setter for X windows. It is written in C++ using the gtkmm toolkit. It can be used in two modes: browser and recall. Nitrogen has been in development for over 11 years, due to real life and laziness. For more info, check out the features section.
Released 1.6.0 on Sun, 13 Nov 2016. This is a huuuuuuuuge release.
Released 1.5.2 on Tue, 19 Apr 2011. This is a bugfix release, with several small fixes, including a resource leak when using Xinerama.
We moved main development efforts to github.
Released 1.5.1 on Thu, 4 Feb 2010. This is a bugfix release, fixing an issue detecting root window type.
Released 1.5 on Fri, 22 Jan 2010. This release has a number of bug fixes and enhancements like icon view mode, a "background library" feature, and zoom fill background mode.
Released 1.4 on Thurs, 31 July 2008. This release fixes a big problem with X errors (especially on Xinerama), and makes a number of UI tweaks that will hopefully improve usability. It also includes an "automatic" background sizing mode which can figure out what to do with an image based on its size. Thanks to Helge Larsen for helping track down the X errors.
Released 1.3 on Mon, 12 May 2008. This release implements lazy loading of thumbnails, and fixes some bugs, esp with odd architectures failing to build.
- Multihead and Xinerama aware.
- Recall mode to used via startup script.
- Uses freedesktop.org standard for thumbnails.
- Can set GNOME background.
- Command line set modes for script use.
- Inotify monitoring of browse directory.
- Lazy loading of thumbnails - conserves memory (new in 1.3).
- "Automatic" set mode - determines best mode to set an image based on its size. (new in 1.4).
- Display preview images in a tiled icon layout (new in 1.5).
Git version - on Github
Talk to us on #l3ib on irc.freenode.net, or email Dave at daf AT minuslab DOT net.